Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Curried Hash Browns

Curried Hash Browns
Inspired from here


I thought I was buying hash browns but it turned out I bought shoe string potatoes... oh well!

1 bag hash browns
curry powder (1 1/2 tablespoon)
onion (1/2 onion, chopped)
garlic (2 cloves)
salt (1/2 tsp)
cumin (just a dash)
pepper
cilantro, chopped
olive oil

I cooked the onion a little bit on my George Foreman before I added them to the potatoes. I just wanted them to be tender. I added the hash browns, curry, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and onions to a big bowl and just mixed them together. I added a splash of olive oil, but I don't know if it was necessary.

I had to cook them in batches, but I added the cilantro to the top when it was done cooking.

Apparently one could smell them cooking 3 floors down and the whole building smells like garlic and curry. Oops!!

I realized before I cooked them all that there was WAY too many. So I got a quart bag and filled that with the mix-uncooked- and I froze them. I'll see if they freeze well! I have a feeling I will have to freeze some of the cooked ones. It's hard to cook for one person.

I loved them. They turned out a little more like fries than hash browns, but that was my fault. They still tasted delicious. I had to cook them about 5-7 minutes, but that was because they were frozen.

(<-- I froze some this way - pre-cooked.)

I tried this trick tonight:
 After serving the grilled food, make sure your grill is
unplugged, put a wet cloth, that can be washed, and
reused in the grill and close the lid. In 10-30 minutes,
the grill will almost wipe clean.

It really worked! I left the rag on there for about 20 minutes and the grill was really easy to clean. 


1 comment:

  1. These look yummy. I bet you could have sold them up and down the hall!

    ReplyDelete