Monday, September 26, 2011

Roasted Jalapeño and Lime Hummus

Roasted Jalapeño and Lime Hummus
Roasted Jalapeño and Lime Hummus
Makes about 2 cups
1-3 (or more!) jalapeños
2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
3-4 tablespoons lime juice
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons tahini (or substitute extra-virgin olive oil)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoons minced cilantro (optional)
Pita wedges or tortilla chips for serving
Roast the jalapeños under the broiler, on the stove top, or on the grill. Flip every few minutes until the peppers are charred all over. Move them to a heat-proof bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 10 minutes.
When the peppers are cool enough to handle, slip off the skin, split the peppers, and strip out the seeds. Slice the jalapeños into thin strips and set aside. Take care while working with these peppers because the jalapeño oils can really burn if you rub your eyes or touch your mouth. Wear gloves if desired.
Warm the chickpeas in the microwave for about a minute (this helps make the hummus creamier). Pour them them into the bowl of a food processor along with 3 tablespoons of lime juice, garlic, tahini, and spices. Begin processing and stream in the olive oil through the top of the machine. Scrape down and process again until the hummus is very smooth.
Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in the sliced jalapeños. Taste and add more jalapeños, more lime juice, or more seasonings to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving. (This hummus can also be made several days ahead.)
Garnish with minced cilantro and serve with pita wedges or tortilla chips.

Jenna's Notes: 
I did not have Tahini so I added a tablespoon of olive oil in its place. I also didn't have coriander so I just left that out. Instead of buying Jalapeños, I bought Serrano peppers on accident. I added only this much -->
(I still grilled it on my George Foreman...) 
and it was plenty! I guess Serrano's are a little stronger than Jalapeños so I aired on the safe side! 

I didn't have a food processor here at college, so I did warm up my can of (drained...even though the recipe doesn't say!) chickpeas which made them easier to mash. I just added a little but of olive oil and lemon juice to begin with and it made it easy to mix together. Other than my few little notes, I followed the recipe to a T and it is g.o.o.d! I could eat it all in one sitting. I'm already thinking about going to buy more chickpeas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment