Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hamburger Soup

When I went home one weekend this month, my mom found a few easy crock pot recipes for me to try.  She was so sweet and sent me back with the majority of the ingredients that I needed to make a few fantastic meals! Hamburger soup was one of them!

I was going to take a picture of the ingredients I used but everyone was still sleeping so I basically put this together in the dark.  We had put the ingredients in individual bags while I was hope so everything was measured out and I just had to pour it in. Minus the water, tomato sauce and the soy sauce.

 I was a little hesitant when I first put this together, not understanding how there would be enough liquid to cook the noodles- but after searching around online, we realized that a different recipe added between 1-3 cups of water.  Since my crock pot is small, I only added one.  You could totally add more water to make a thinner soup.  I added soy sauce instead of Worcestershire because that is what I had.  I also added salt and pepper because I felt like it needed it. I cooked this on high for 4-5 hours.


I would recommend this recipe. I very much enjoyed it. 

Hamburger Soup
D. Wachsmuth

1 pound ground beef
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce OR soy sauce
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1-3 cups water
1 cup macaroni, cooked (see note)
Crumble the beef into a slow cooker. Add the pepper, oregano, Italian seasoning, seasoned salt, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and 1-3 cups water. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours. Add the macaroni. Turn heat to high and cook for 15 minutes.

Note: You can also use 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni and add it during the last hour of cooking. Then there is no need for the last 15 minutes.

My crock pot wouldn't hold more than a cup of water, but the noodles cooked perfectly in about 45 minutes.

And:

The finished product.  I added a little cheese to mine. I am sure that it would be delicious with a little sour cream for creaminess but I didn't have any.

Without the cheese. Very,very good!

Another successful college dorm room recipe. Give it a try and let me know if you like it!

1 comment: